Sunday, November 1, 2009

Red Sky at Night, Sailor's Delight

Ever since I saw my first "Storm at Sea" quilt, I just knew I had to make one for my dad, who's been an avid sailor all his life. It's done in the traditional Storm at Sea setting, but I manipulated the colors to resemble a sunset over the water - hence the name "Red Sky at Night, Sailor's Delight". It will make the perfect Christmas gift for Dad this year!
The most exciting part was trying to find the "perfect" fabric to use for the sun's reflection in the water. I finally found a light periwinkle/blue fabric that looked like it had gold dust lightly brushed across it, and that gave exactly the effect I wanted. It faintly suggests the sunlight dancing off the water.

I used John Flynn's acrylic templates to cut all the pieces, and quilted it on my domestic machine using John's "dot-to-dot" design that he uses on his Storm at Sea quilts. I'm sharing it with you all because so many of you have been a part of the planning of this quilt (and Susan insisted that I post it on this blog), but you have to promise to keep it a secret! After all, Christmas is still 2 months away and I wouldn't want Dad to find out about it early! Thanks to all who offered their opinions and support!

11 comments:

  1. I love the Storm at Sea design and I really love your version. Delightful. You did an excellent job!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Kathy! I know your dad will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Kathy, I love the design and especially the quilting. I'm so glad Susan insisted...now we hope to see more of your work soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful quilt. What a lucky dad. Thanks for posting.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my that is beautiful. I can't wait until your brother is at the top of your quilt list. I still don't understand why my Father is my mum. You Americans keep me confused.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shirelle says WOW! Never heard her say that before. Wish I was a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mom, you did an incredible job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, Kathy. I took a Storm at Sea class from John Flynn and have a very nice pile of water fabrics to play with. But yours is an inspiration to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice. Your dad will love it!

    ReplyDelete