Saturday, February 27, 2010

Snow Dyeing




A major topic of discussion on the QuiltArt email list this winter had been using snow to dye fabric. After soaking your PFD fabric in soda ash solution, you put it in a large container and pack it full of snow. Then you pour or squirt dye on top and let it sit for hours until the snow melts. Before the current snow started to fall I soaked my fabric and arranged it in tubs. Bill put the tubs outside the night before the snow started, so the fabric froze in its arrangement and was then covered by the snowfall.
Having the fabric frozen made the dye reach the fibers very unevenly as the fabric thawed and the snow melted. I think the resulting designs in the fabric are wonderful! Now I need to think up domething wonderful to do with the fabric.

10 comments:

  1. Very nice! I've been doing some also and will post on my blog once I get the current batch ironed and photographed. the first two small lots can be seen at http://quiltmuse.blogger.com

    Jacquie in Vermont

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun!! We may get one more bit of snow here this week...if so I'll be doing this again too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the green! I am hoping for some snow here in Maine so I can try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice results!! I haven't tried this yet, but it looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty Peggi! We got another 18 inches in NE Ohio, so I'm back at it. Isn't it fun to see the patterns that emerge?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous effects! Especially the green.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Peggi. I have some melting right now that should be up on my blog Monday or Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very cool...was the fabric scrunched up?

    ReplyDelete