Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Quilt Scraps

You may remember the "Black & Tan" quilt I blogged about last month. The colors and design of this quilt really appealed to me so I decided to take it a step further. First, I jumped on the "Mug Rug" bandwagen and made one as a little gift for my hubby. At least he can't say I've made a quilt for everyone but him now! It looks so much better next to his computer than the old paper napkin he was using...
I had so much fun with that little quilt that I just kept right on going, cutting more scraps, and made an 8"x10" mini-quilt. I've decided to donate this to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative for their quilt auctions. Susan has been blogging about this for a while now, and I finally decided to give it a try.

If you haven't made a little AAQI quilt before, I highly recommend it. It's so much fun working on such a tiny scale, and it's a great way to use up those scraps. This quilt cost me nothing except an afternoon of my time, and it was so cold yesterday (14 below zero here) that you can bet I wasn't about to go outdoors! Much nicer in my warm cozy sewing room!
I hope it does well in the auction...

7 comments:

  1. Lovely! Love the color combo...great for a cup of java! Love the mini too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the design of your "mug rug" and AAQI quilt, Kathy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a quilter or fabric artist, but having said this I did make a 9 patch top with a piano boarder that I hope to finish one day soon. I just wanted to thank you for supporting and spreading the work about the AAQI. It is people like you that are making it possible to achieve our success in bringing awareness and funding research of Alzheimer's. Niki Gottesman, AAQI Board Member

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a quilter or fabric artist, but having said this I did make a 9 patch top with a piano boarder that I hope to finish one day soon. I just wanted to thank you for supporting and spreading the work about the AAQI. It is people like you that are making it possible to achieve our success in bringing awareness and funding research of Alzheimer's. Niki GOttesman, AAQI Board Member

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors, love the mini quilt. And as another AAQI quilter, I just love that you are joining in our fun..because it is so much fun! Oh...really love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it and the donation is a wonderful idea!!!
    Smiles,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both the mug rug and the Priority Alzheimer's quilt are awesome! I really love the stars binding on them. Thanks for supporting the AAQI!

    ReplyDelete