Friday, October 28, 2011

"The Perfect Iron" saga continues...

Seems like everyone has been blogging about their search for the "perfect iron". Most, like me, have a graveyard of old castoff irons. We've tried every brand available, including the expensive so-called "best" ones on the market (we won't mention any names). Still, they spit water all over our fabric, leak from places they shouldn't, and fail to heat up like they should. And so, the search goes on...

I'm here today to tell you about my latest purchase (and this is just my own individual opinion - no one has encouraged me to post this, so please take it as such and make up your own mind.)
I just bought (or rather, my dear hubby bought it for me as an early Christmas gift) a Reliable V50. I first read about this iron on the IHAN blog and it sounded too good to be true. An iron that pumps out lots of steam, but doesn't leak??? Yeah, right - I've heard that before! I was hesitant to try yet another iron, but Kelly assured me that they really are as "Reliable" as their name says, so I decided to give it a try. I have to tell you that so far, I'm really amazed! Because this iron has an internal steam generator, you can get steam at any temperature - and without spitting! You can also operate it dry, but just have to push one button to start the steam flow, then push it again when you're done and the steam stops. So simple! And talk about steam!!! Besides quilting, I also make bags and purses and need lots of steam to shape these bags. This iron sure does the job! (Just make sure that you only turn on the steam when you need it, because if you leave it sitting and steaming, you'll go through lots and lots of water - might even steam up the windows in your sewing room!)

And like most quilters, you probably hate the auto-off feature on your irons. Every time you get up to press a seam, the iron has turned itself off (again!) and you have to wait for it to re-heat. Well, Reliable has taken care of that problem too! You can override the auto-off function by holding the steam button down for 8 seconds. Now the auto-off function is disabled until you unplug the iron. It's the best of both worlds!

If you'd like to read Kelly's review on the IHAN blog, you can find it here.
Happy Ironing!

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the review...not in the market now as I have 3 fairly new irons sitting around but I will keep it in mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Reliable too! LOVE it! I've had it for at least 1 year, maybe two, I forget.... Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete